Week 49
Photos
Ben in Amsterdam
Health Matters
Weather
Ben in Spain
Workshop photos
Workshop photos
The light at the end of the tunnel
Heading back to the farm from Haulerwijk
Sunday night, Ben went to a food hall in Amsterdam (somewhere). Sent us some photos of pumpkins.....


Health Matters
Maybe just because I turned 65, "they" sent me a bowel cancer testing kit..... in the form of an "invitation" to participate. Now, I don't know how the system really works here... we pay our health insurance every month, which includes dental and hospital. We have 2 doctors in Bakkeveen, husband and wife, and luckily I see them only rarely but enough to say hello whenever we see them on other occasions. I have always had to go and ask for checkups and blood tests etc., usually because I think I should, rather than having anything wrong with me. I try to argue the "preventative" case but I think the system might be more geared to healing rather than preventing..... In any case, I thought it was interesting to get an "invitation" for the bowel cancer test kit and I also ticked the box for a similar test every 2 years. The "all clear" result came back within a few days. (all done by post).
footnote: I asked Janny's parents and they said it is purely random testing, so it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe I can find out how many and the philosophy behind it from somewhere else.
footnote: I asked Janny's parents and they said it is purely random testing, so it doesn't apply to everyone. Maybe I can find out how many and the philosophy behind it from somewhere else.
Weather
November 2015. Friesland and 3 other (Northern) provinces had the warmest November on record; 9.9 degrees C (Normal is 6.7 C) .. It was also much wetter with 134mm of rain compared with the normal 82mm.
Ben in Spain
He flew from Schiphol to Barcelona, stayed overnight and then Barcelona to Santiago de Compostela, the next day. He and a Belgian chap were picked up at the airport and driven to A Corhuna, where the HQ of Zara is located.

![]() |
| Hotel room, Barcelona |
Ben said it was all fairly relaxed; first day photos and fitting in preparation for the actual modelling/presentations on days 2 and 3.
Janny and I just shake our heads and think what a wonderful experience he is having.
He overslept and nearly missed the flight home. Arrived back in Amsterdam, went to work and then traveled by train back to Heerenveen where Janny picked him up. He then slept for more than 12 hours! - sometimes it's just good to be back "home".
Thomas
We continue to provide care for Thomas; Janny even had to pick him up from school and take him to hospital (Mum had gym!!). We think he may have pinched an "energy" drink from the fridge at his home (what??!!). The "system" now seems agonisingly slow when the situation is screaming for something to be done.
Workshop
![]() |
| Gifts prepared for the church in Bakkeveen |
![]() |
| Coffee break "selfie". |
![]() |
| Out for a walk |
![]() |
| Lucas and Shararah |
![]() |
| Betty - a volunteer helper. |













A very stable crew you have there Ken...Luckily, given the movement you have with the kids program.
ReplyDeleteI might have to look into that BC kit idea to see if we do it here. Do you have Dutch post or is it BPost there also?
ReplyDeleteFunny to read... Model Pickup....Model Arrival... Its like we have the movements of "The Talent" Its great to see. He does scrub up well. Is it all very serious or do have fun with it?
ReplyDelete